What do you look for in an orthopaedic surgeon?
Sep 01, 2012
Finding an orthopaedic surgeon you can trust can be disconcerting. After all, you’re putting your shoulder in his or her hands. You want to know those hands are skilled and experienced. But how best to go about it? Here are a few pointers:
- Talk to your primary physician for a referral.
- Ask friends and family whom they would recommend – you never know who has had orthopaedic surgery.
- Do online research. There are many web databases that can help you find information about a given physician.
- Ask a lot of questions. And then ask some more – about credentials, experience and outcomes.
- Don’t talk to just one doc. Get a second opinion. Surgery is serious business.
- Trust your gut. Sometimes instincts are the best judge of all.